Monday, November 1, 2010

Copy of the ABD ch25 A/N

For anyone who hasn't read it yet - below the cut. I out it up here to clean up the story again.


Surprise!

I guess wanting to write this chapter for more than 16 months now made me write it real quick – it pretty much flowed except for two small blocks and a handful of rewrites (although from a technical point of few it was HARD to make the words cooperate). But before I can let you read about what all of you should have been waiting for since HBR chapter 26, I have a few things to say on my behalf.

FIRST: THE SOAPBOX

Right now I'm not in a happy place.

Writing should be enjoyable. It is. What I have problems with is posting this story. In a way I think I should never have started ABD – but to resolve everything in HBR would have made an already endless story even longer, and I figured a break was needed. Also, I think my blog note explanations and simply showing you what BDSM is really about is important. More often than not it's the only thing that makes me hit the 'submit' button that will hopefully let an update notification flutter into your inbox.

I'm clearly not made for the medium that is fanfiction, not in the way I have to handle this story. For me it's a 'write what you know' turned nightmare thing at times – not because I get bashed, although that sucks when it (very occasionally) happens – but because so many offhand remarks that I presume are just that also hurt. As does the very steady decline of feedback or comments I get.

Yes, I'm whining again. Suck it up. This is important to me.

What I resent the most are the "but this can't happen because they are Edward and Bella!" comments. I know, writing fanfic means you're never working with your own characters. I think I hit a good balance between incorporating traits of the original characters into people who are in themselves somewhat unique. It takes a lot of work to balance that – and every time I hear that blasted sentence it's like a slap in my face because it is so obviously not important to whoever says that what the characters with their flaws and their past want, do, or need – why not stay with reading 'Twilight' for the 10000th time if you don't want anything else to happen? I just don't get it.

And the other thing is the aforementioned steady decline of attention my story (and I) receive. I'm not just talking stats – but after the 5th 'I didn't review the last chapters because they made me so uncomfortable/they sucked' comment a writer just starts to tear her hair out. It takes 5 seconds to type 'thank you' – and about 15 mins to create a whole new online identity with email, Ffn account, facebook and twitter – I know, because my birth certificate doesn't have the name Daria on it, and still I'm here, right? If what I write makes you uncomfortable, maybe we should talk about that? If what I write appeals to you in any way or just makes you curious, why not tell me? Writers are like puppies, they need attention and love or they turn into insufferable brats with social disorders.

Also, my mother taught me that if someone makes you a gift or shares something with you that they are really ecstatic about, you should give a little something back. 'Thank you' goes a very long way.

And don't get me started on the 'I always read on the phone and cannot login to leave a review' – I spent about 30 hours just writing and editing this chapter, on a computer, you can hunt one down for 5 minutes, too. And I think most phones that let you read whole chapters let you send emails, too, if the sites for whatever reason hate your brand of phone.

I love writing, it's something that has been an integral part of my life since April 4th, 1996, and will likely stay that way forever. I only write fanfic since February 2009, maybe it's time for me to turn my back on it and move on to a forum that doesn't rid me of my sleep for days at a time. I hate all forms of elitist restrictions – like moving this whole fling to a closed off LJ community – I mean there is a good reason why I post the story to one of the largest online communities that deal with fanfic and don't guard my chapters or stories from unwanted eyes. But as a writer who is deeply invested in her story and characters (and trust me, them living inside my head makes me the most invested of us all) I also feel like I want to share the enthusiasm and joy the telling of this story brings me with the people who appreciate it – and not just anyone.

I'm now going to step off my soap box and head to bed – it's 2:30am, I have to get up at 6, and this is going to be a long, long day. If you felt at least a little bit excited about getting the update notice for the story you might want to consider leaving me something that sends a similar notice to my inbox to share some of the feeling. (hint: it might start with 'thank' and end with 'you' – or just :) - whatever you prefer. And yes, it matters, even if it seems like a tiny gesture to you only.)

Plus I think there is no page on this chapter that doesn't invite comments.

Thank you for your attention. I'm sorry I bored you with this, but it needed out for a long, long time. With any luck we can resolve this issue once and for all. I know a steady 50 people already work hard on that each and every update. Or maybe they just refresh the page 40 times? Who knows. Although if that's the case, please make a video of it and send me the link, because this I really have to see! It would also end my fretting once the 49th review comes in. Someone is always on vacation and can't read ;)

9 comments:

  1. Daria,
    I wanted to commend you on the taking on this subject and sharing with us your experience in this lifestyle. As one, who lives this lifestyle, I understand what you are feeling. This is one of the reasons we have not gone to play parties or munches in our area. Due to our careers, we do not feel comfortable yet coming out. I would like to thank you for making me feel a little bit more comfortable with my submissive role. We are not 24/7 but we have our play days. Thank you again for being the lifestyle out for others to see it is not as bad as it sounds. I have enjoyed your stories and blog. Sorry I have not written sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, one more thing. Can not wait to see the note in my inbox stating there is an update waiting on me. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daria,
    I read your comment and I wanted to say my piece. I have read heart break remedy and 99% of your other work (just not bend me break me because I am heeding your warning). I love your style of writing. I loved HBR even though Edward really, REALLY pissed me off and made me want to kick him in the balls at some points. I am very curious about the bdsm lifestyle. While I have not taken an active role in pursuing it (I have too many trust issues that I need to work on; to put all my faith in a Dom. I have enjoyed many other things (sex in public, role play, hair pulling, toys being added, etc) and I really like that you are using it in the story and making it seem normal and healthy and not something to be ashamed of or hidden. It piques my curiousity. Except for the thing in the woods and the nettles (ouch, my poor hooha cringed, shuddered, and cried all at the same time lol) While some of what has been in the chapters has honestly been a little intense for me to take (the last play time with E, B & Beth and Bella crashing) I still appreciate the gumption it takes to write that and put it out there for people to read and in turn, judge you based on it (stupid as it is to judge someone on crap like that). I'm not really one to review and I know I honestly should. Even though it may just be thank you, I will make an honest effort to do that from this point on. I know it takes a lot. As for people complaining "that's not edward/bella," well piss on them. While I may not know the insides and out of fanfiction, etc. I do know that the characters belong to S. Meyer but in fanfiction, people get to use the characters and have them in different situations. In most of the fanfiction I've read, the characters become an entirely different Edward/Bella and I love it. Like "My Life, Now" by Luvrofink is awesome. Bella is so very ooc and absolutely bad ass and confident and I absolutely love it. To me while they may be the "same characters" they are completely different and stand out as their own deviation.
    I wanted to give you a hug and kiss on the cheek *mwah* I love what you're doing and the stories especially ABD. Keep going :o) You're an awesome person and an awesome writer :o)
    Hugs!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daria--
    I was happy to find your stories, though I haven't started them yet (I plan to when I get back from vacation). I just read your A/N. You have every right to say what you said, and I can only imagine the frustration you must feel. When I read a fic, I always try to leave a comment on every chapter, and I never say anything negative, because I feel like authors like you are giving us a gift, the gift of their talent and time and hard work, and they deserve at least that much, and so much more. I can't wait to read your story, and I can tell I'm going to love it already. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Daria,

    So I just commented on your Bend Me, Break Me story just a little bit ago (under the name Simone)...my mind is still reeling from its awesomeness, so I apologize if my comments come off as disjointed. I've never been much of a fan fic gal but some reason Twilight led me there a few months ago. Anyways, I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass when I say that your work is f'ing fantastic. I started reading HBR on Thursday and rather than spend time writing my dissertation, I spent the entire weekend finishing the story. And then of course I moved on to BMBM; which was simultaneously psychotic and breathtaking. I don't know what you do in your daily life, but you have a gift m'dear.

    There was this part of me early on in HBR where I thought to myself, "This chick must really have experience with BDSM." I'm by no means an expert and can only silently pine for meeting others who are in this lifestyle, but I have enough experience behind my closed bedroom door to have related to the raw emotional realism of your writing. I wish I had the balls to do what you do, here and in your writing, although I certainly fantasize about chucking the dissertation overboard to go off and write some smutty fan fic of my own. It won't pay the bills, but it somehow seems entirely more satisfying.

    I can only begin to imagine how frustrating you must feel as a writer. But trust me, your work is a million times better than most of the fluff I see out there masquerading as a BDSM story. I haven't fully read through your blog, but I'm so glad your stories haven't turned the lifestyle into some overly cuddly, PG crap.

    Anyways, I hope my rambling gives you some sense of how much of a fan you have in me. If I knew you in real life, I would be buying you several rounds of drinks right now to thank you for giving the fan fic world some really intelligent and witty masterpieces.

    Simone (also not on my birth certificate)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, everyone - can't say how much this means to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Why not stay with reading 'Twilight' for the 10000th time if you don't want anything else to happen?" - Ain't that the truth?

    Get up on that soapbox! You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow....it's been a long time coming but it was still fun to read! Can't wait to see where this takes our favorite threesome!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

I own nothing related to Twilight, Stephenie Meyer is the owner of the Twilight series.

All my stories are rated MA/NC-17 and are intended for adults over the age of 18. If the content offends you, please don't read them.