Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Note on Respect


Emotions have been running pretty high along the last two chapters, and I feel like this note is well overdue. But before I can come to explaining what I feel some of you might be interested in - how ‘real’ BDSM works sometimes - I feel I need to say a few things about another topic - respect.


I have gotten a couple of reviews and PMs that have offended me - personally - this week, and I have responded in a less than mature and composed fashion. I’m not catholic, I don’t turn the other cheek, when someone gets in my face I usually retaliate in kind, and then some. Maybe that was uncalled for, maybe not, but that’s not my point. As usual, the fallout is the same accusation as always - is there a memo out there for offended readers to just copy? Because I swear, I have that very same answer in my inbox several times nearly verbatim. The fact is, I do value discussion, and I would be very disappointed if everyone would just blindly agree with me.

From where I stand, the problem is not the controversy, but the blatant lack of respect and courtesy. Don’t get me wrong, I love it when people are so caught up in the story that they really feel for and with the characters, but seriously, when you approach the author with whatever beef you have, THIS is the time to take a few deep breaths and distance yourself from the story, and try to be a little composed. I know this might be a little hard, but at least five people managed that wonderfully last week, and I think I could alleviate nearly all of their fears and concern. That’s what I mean whenever I try to encourage you all to leave some feedback - so that I see if what I intended to write got across for most people, and try to straighten out any remaining misconceptions.

Again, you don’t have to agree with me - but there’s a good way and a bad to express that, and I really hope we can all act like adults and stop this flinging of shit and prejudice around. If not, FFn and gmail have wonderful filters and/or ways to block incoming messages from select people. I’m just sick of having stomach pains whenever I open my inbox and there are new reviews and PMs waiting.

Now on to the ‘info’ - and main - part of this note.



Until two chapters ago, what Edward and Bella did was challenging mostly on a physical level. Of course Bella grew a lot on a mental level, too, she learned a lot about herself and grew comfortable with her submissive nature. Now they felt it was time to progress things further - and the next step was to start publish psychological borders. That was probably more obvious on chapter 21, but happened just as much when they were playing in the woods.

I can see why a lot of you were very concerned about what went down, and I think some didn’t really make the cut between themselves, and Bella here. Mindfuck scenes only work when you’re in the right mindset - and if I’m not terribly wrong, most of you don’t live in a D/s relationship where you’ve decided on a mutual basis that you want to take the step into this territory (but if I’m wrong you’re a bunch of lucky bitches, but then you probably enjoyed the chapters just as much as I did).

As we all know, a D/s relationship is rooted firmly on trust and respect. Players know that - always. A sub knows that however he might act in a scene or whenever they are playing, her Dom respects her like he respects no one else. He knows that she wants this - needs it, craves it even - and that’s why he does what he does. Of course he also enjoyed himself immensely, but it all always happens in this context. They both want it - and they respect each other’s wishes and limits and are so damn happy they have someone to share and indulge their needs with.



The nature of a BDSM relationship is that it is unfair, that it is unbalanced, and outside of the proper interpersonal conduct we are used to and thrive for. The fact that the sub can stop everything with the safeword and in that holds the real power restores that proper balance. Rightens the wrong. But unless for whatever reason she doesn’t feel well enough to play, the sub wants to be treated unfairly at times; she wants to submit - she needs something to submit to, even - and it gives her a sense of being owned and appreciated in her submission when that is put to the test.

Orgasm denial is a powerful tool to bring that side out of a sub; of course it is frustrating - and it gets only worse because you know you’re really the only thing that stands between you and your climax, because you’d just have to use that stupid safeword and could get yourself off within a minute. But that wouldn’t be a very satisfying orgasm. Trust me, I’ve done it, and the only thing it did was leaving me feeling stupid and weak. Because I want my Dom to be a badass, mean bastard who I sometimes even hate - but always love even more because he knows how good I will feel if I tough it out and wait and grit my teeth until he grants me that release I need. It’s a mental form of bondage, if you want to put it that way, and it has always been worth it in the end for me. It’s a reward not otherwise gained, and one I will crave for time and again. And my Dom knows how what he does makes me feel. He does it because he knows I want to feel that way - not frustrated, but proud when I was able to tough it out. That he does all that is a testament of his respect and love for me. And all the better that we both get off on this.

Another fact is that players who are into the SM part of BDSM really do get off in pain, giving and receiving. There is nothing wrong about that because a sadistic Dom doesn’t go around and hurts random people to get his kicks - he hurts his masochistic sub who loves to feel that pain and would maybe go to great (dangerous) lengths to search it otherwise. This way you have a controlled, save environment they both can indulge their needs in - and if that’s not your thing, fine, but you should let them do their thing without judging.
Not everyone into BDSM likes pain in one form or another, but for most it is a vital part of play. Of the couple of dominants I’ve bottomed for in my time in the lifestyle not one of them had any qualms hurting me, and I think none of them really had to indulge me there without enjoying it themselves - or if not the sadistic side of it, then at least the control they had over me be giving or withholding what I needed.

I’m more than happy to discuss things with every one of you if what I write is making you uncomfortable. I’m happy to try to explain, in detail, with examples if you want to, what is going on with the characters, or how this works out in reality. That’s why I write what I write, I’ve done this, I’m doing this myself, and I think these are the layers of a BDSM relationship that so many of those misconceptions that make people believe it is all abuse are rooted on. Let me help you understand.

I’ve considered just stopping to respond to reviews or comments that get under my skin. Maybe I will. It’s tempting to just think ‘fuck you’ and ignore it all. Let the ones who feel the need to make themselves feel better by offending me have their one minute of fame and let their flames die of lack of oxygen and attention. I’d rather these people these people would take out the heat of their grief from the reviews so we could discuss things on a more levelheaded basis. I still believe this is possible, although I’ve been proven wrong so often since I started HBR - but I’ll keep my faith if you keep yours.

9 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like some of your readers need to learn the lesson my mum taught me when I was a little girl and that is 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'

    It also sounds like some of yours readers have decided that some of the fluff that the twific universe pass off as BDSM is how it actually is which couldn't be further from the truth.

    I love your story I find it not only entertaining to read but very informative as well. Yeah a couple of things they have done recently have made me squirm(in a good way), but is that not the point to sympathise with the characters your reading about.

    I can't wait for each new chapter and the next wonderfully delicious thing they are going to partake in.

    Keep up the excellent work. And for those of you who don't like DON'T READ, it's that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what she said above. I think some of these readers are used to the "fake" BSDM stories and don't realize this is really what it's like.

    And if they don't like it, just stop reading it's that easy. If they are still reading, they obviously like it on some level, so maybe they are just lashing out at you for getting under their skin and making them like something they think is "wrong".

    (and BTW, I love the photos included in this week's blog!)

    Now I'm going to go read the chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both so much!!

    I agree - they can't handle the real thing. I just thought that by now everyone still reading had come to the realization that I don't soften things down.

    And I need to stress again, except for the shit that went flying after my reply to their reviews, no one attacked me directly. But if they slander what I personally do, they still hurt me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's unfortunate people are so disrespectful and judgemental towards you and your story. I admit I had trouble wrapping my head around the whole D/s concept, but you very kindly and patiently explained things when I messaged you and I think I've got it now. Your remark about distancing yourself from the characters is so true. I tend to naturally identify with female characters like Bella,and view her experiences through my filters, so I had trouble reconciling the pain/pleasure aspect of the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree... people should learn to give constructive criticism or ask questions about what they don´t understand... instead of being down right judgemental and cruel... if you don´t agree with the story don´t read it... but stop fucking it up for the rest of us....Just sayin!!!!

    Krazi
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. guess they havent figureed out that they have the ultimate choice.....Not to read. Most of us love ya hun. Write what you want. Life isnt all roses, sunshine, and rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my husband's 'rules' are no internet or phone whilst we are away from home so I spent a lovely couple of hours catching up on what I've missed. I'm enjoying the progression of the story - nettles & not a dock leaf in sight very mean but I'm very much liking the way they are becoming better at communicating.

    What I was looking forward to more was catching up on your A/Ns, I can't believe how open you are about your life and experiences and I can feel your frustration at certain reviews and comments leaping out of the screen, most writen I should imagine due to ignorance & lack of thought - I know that because I have done it & you were generous enough to reply in a very restrained manner.

    Interestingly whilst I have been away I've found myself thinking about you and what you've been writing about in your A/Ns & trying to convey in your stories. Not the D/S side of things, it would never be for me but the trust, respect, communication, honesty aspect of your lifestyle. It's made me realise how easily life gets in the way and living up to these promises seems to get pushed aside SO I am making a conscious effort to be better, it takes little effort to stop working, put my book down etc and show my husband some respect by listening 100% & responding honestly.

    Anyway enough of me rambling and on to me being nosey, you've been talking about orgasm denial, what do you do to control/distract yourself at these times - 99x table backwards, concocting dialogue? I am assuming (yes I know what that does) that you get punished if you break the rules/don't live up to set expectations but how do you handle it if your Dom breaks your rules/limits etc, do you get to punish him?

    Thanks & looking forward to next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. or how about this expression "my kink is not your kink" in other words...you may not enjoy my kink but you had better respect my right to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think people who attack and disrespect an author are hypocritical because if you really don't like a story you stop reading it. Period. If they have kept reading it there's something in the story that has hooked them into it, so they should be more respectful when they comment about something they have read.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed both HBR and ABD; I think that what I have liked the most about these stories is that hey have challenged me emotionally and intellectually; being completely ignorant about BDSM I have found that these stories helped me understand a lot more about this lifestyle in a realistic way, but even more than that is the fact that the relationships portrayed are real, not idealized, whether it's a friendship or a romantic relationship, the characters make mistakes, grow and evolve, and also can end.
    There have been chapters that have been difficult to process, but I think that if I can't express my doubts properly (respectfully) I have no right to express them to you at all. At the end of the day, it's very easy to criticize destructively without putting any thought to the amount of time and effort it takes to write anything, and I can see you have poured your heart and soul into the stories you write so that should be appreciated by anyone who dares to give an opinion.
    Sorry about the ranting, but I hate it when people are disrespectful to anyone in any context, I just had to get it off my chest. I hope that percentage of narrow minded people doesn't discourage you from doing something you obviously enjoy, apart from the fact that there are a lot of us readers who value and just simply love what you create week after week. Thank you for sharing so much with us!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

I own nothing related to Twilight, Stephenie Meyer is the owner of the Twilight series.

All my stories are rated MA/NC-17 and are intended for adults over the age of 18. If the content offends you, please don't read them.